What is Sexual Abuse in the 1stDegree?
Sexual abuse, or known as molestation, is typically unwanted sexual conduct by an individual on another. It is frequently committed utilizing force or by exploiting another. The offender is known as a sexual abuser or, frequently critically, molester. The word also includes any conduct by an or older juvenile towards a child to sexually arouse any involved. State statues govern the definitions and extents of sexual offenses and varies between states.
Defining Sexual Abuse in the 1stDegree in Different States
- West Virginia:An individual is culpable of first-degree sexual abuse when such individual causes another individual to undergo sexual interaction:
- Without his or her approval, and the absence of approval is caused by compulsory duress;
- Who is physically vulnerable; or
- Who is under twelve years of age.
- Kentucky: An individual is culpable of first-degree sexual abuse when he or she causes another individual to undergo sexual interaction:
- By compulsory duress; or
- Who cannot approve due to him or her being:
- Physically vulnerable;
- Under twelve years of age;
- Psychologically disabled; or
- Is an intellectually disabled person
- Being over twenty-one years of age, he or she:
- Causes another individual who is under sixteen years of age to undergo sexual interaction;
- Participates in masturbation in front of another individual who is under sixteen years of age and realizes and has reason to realize the other individual is present; or
- Participates in masturbation while utilizing the Internet, telephone, or other electronic communication apparatus while conversing with a minor who the individual knows is under sixteen years of age, and the minor can observe or listen to the individual touch him or herself.
- Being an individual in a status of power or special trust, as described in KRS 532.045, he or she, despite his or her age, causes a minor who is under eighteen years of age to undergo, with whom he or she encounters because of that status, sexual interaction or participates in masturbation in front of the minor and realizes or has reason to realize the minor is present or participates in masturbation while utilizing the Internet, telephone, or other electronic communication apparatus while conversing with a minor who the person realizes is under sixteen years of age, and the minor can observe or listen to the individual touch him or herself.
- District of Columbia:An individual shall be incarcerated for any period of years or life and might be penalized not over the amount established in §22-357.01, if that individual participates in or makes another individual to participate in or give in to a sexual act in the following way:
- By utilizing force against that other individual;
- By intimidating or putting that other individual in reasonable fear that any individual will be exposed to death, physical injury, or kidnapping;
- After making that other individual unconscious; or
- After dispensing to that other individual by force or threat of force, or without him or her knowing or consenting, a drug, intoxicant, or other identical substance that considerably damages that other individual’s ability to evaluate or regulate his or her behavior.