Please leave your contact information and we will contact you as soon as possible.
Miami Sex Abuse Lawyer
Were you sexually abused in the Miami area? Our nationally-recognized law firm can help you pursue justice and compensation against the entities that may have played a role in the abuse.
- Sexually motivated crimes can affect anyone, including women, men, children, and the elderly, and can happen anywhere, including offices, schools, youth camps, nursing homes or hospitals.
- You must adhere to Florida’s statute of limitations while filing a civil sexual abuse lawsuit.
- There is no statute of limitations in Miami for sexual abuse survivors below the age of 16.
Help for Miami Survivors of Sexual Abuse
Sexual abuse can leave survivors with physical, emotional, and mental scars that may last for years. A civil lawsuit against a sexual abuser may provide the survivor with the closure and financial compensation they need to move forward.
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual abuse or assault, contact the Miami sex abuse lawyers of Edwards Pottinger today for a free legal consultation. Our experienced sexual battery attorneys have obtained some of the largest verdicts for sex abuse survivors in U.S. history and are dedicated to protecting the rights of those who have been sexually abused.
What are Sex Abuse and Assault?
In many states, sex abuse differs from rape, as rape refers to forced penetration of intercourse, whereas sex abuse refers to all sexually motivated crimes or forced sexual contact. Sexually motivated crimes can affect anyone, including women, men, children, and the elderly. In the United States, someone is sexually assaulted every 68 seconds. Furthermore, statistics have shown that for both male and female survivors of sexual abuse, over 50 percent say their attacker was an acquaintance. This could be a teacher, pastor, coach, or colleague.
Examples of sex abuse or assault that our Miami lawyers commonly litigate include:
- Sexual contact between an adult and child
- Forcing someone to have sex
- Engaging in sexual contact or sexual acts with someone who cannot consent (i.e., a child, a disabled individual)
- Rape, attempted rape, and statutory rape
- Unwanted sexual contact or fondling
- Forcing a child to watch pornography or sexual acts
- Forcibly exposing oneself to someone who has not consented
- Using alcohol or drugs to force someone into sexual contact or intercourse
Where Does Sex Abuse in Miami Typically Occur?
Sex abuse can happen anywhere, in many different settings, with victims of all ages. Sex abuse commonly occurs in the following situations:
- In business settings – Someone may be attacked by a coworker or a person in an authoritative position.
- In a hospital or medical setting – Hospital staff may abuse vulnerable patients.
- In nursing homes – Elderly residents may be subjected to sex abuse by staff or other residents.
- In educational and recreational settings – Children may be sexually abused by school employees, church workers, camp counselors, or sports coaches.
Who Can Be Held Liable for Sex Abuse in Miami?
Survivors of sex abuse may be able to bring a civil lawsuit against their attacker for financial compensation in addition to any criminal charges the defendant may be facing. A civil action can be resolved in court or through settlement negotiations.
In some cases, the survivor may qualify to bring a third-party sex abuse lawsuit if they can show that the defendant’s negligence played a part in the sexual assault that took place. Examples of negligent third parties in Miami sex abuse lawsuits include but are not limited to:
- Hospitals and nursing homes
- Universities and schools
- Cruise ships
- Youth sports leagues
- Youth summer camps
- Churches and religious institutions
- Spas and massage parlors
What Compensation is Available to Sex Abuse Survivors in Miami?
Survivors of sexual abuse may be entitled to non-economic and economic damages. Non-economic damages include personal, subjective losses like physical and emotional pain. Economic damages include financial losses (out-of-pocket expenses and loss of income). Losses that sex abuse survivors may be compensated for in a successful civil lawsuit include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Past and future medical bills relating to the assault
- Lost wages if the survivor missed time at work due to the attack
What is the Statute of Limitations for Miami Sex Abuse Cases?
The statute of limitations is the time period that a plaintiff has to bring a lawsuit and depends on the victim’s age when the attack took place. In Florida, the following guidelines are adhered to for Miami sex abuse and assault lawsuits:
- No statute of limitations applies for survivors of abuse before the age of 16
- 7 years after turning 18 for survivors of childhood sexual trauma that occurred after the age of 16
- 4 years from when the crime occurred or from when the survivor leaves the dependency of their abuser
How Can a Miami Sex Abuse Lawyer Help Me?
Many survivors of sexual abuse do not realize that they have additional options for legal recourse aside from pursuing criminal allegations against their attackers. While financial compensation cannot change what happened, it can give a survivor the financial means they need to access critical resources like therapy, as well as provide some closure. A qualified sex abuse attorney in Miami will investigate the details of the attack, build a strong case, act as your advocate throughout the legal process, and fight to ensure you are fairly compensated.
Reach Out to Our Miami Sex Abuse Attorneys
At Edwards Pottinger, our sex assault attorneys are dedicated to protecting survivors’ rights and holding abusers and responsible entities accountable for their actions. Our nationally recognized sex abuse law firm has worked on hundreds of high-profile cases against powerful individuals and corporations and has won hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of sexual abuse survivors, including a $70 million settlement on a yacht sex assault case.
Our experienced sex crimes lawyers understand how traumatizing sexual assault can be and have represented countless survivors in the same difficult position. If you or a loved one are a survivor of sexual abuse, contact the Miami sex abuse lawyers of Edwards Pottinger today for a free case evaluation.
Unless We Win
Tell Us What Happened. All consultations are FREE and confidential.
Edwards Pottinger is a nationally-recognized powerhouse litigation firm, dedicated to providing its clients with the highest quality legal services and, at the same time, making substantial, positive changes for the common good.
We are skilled litigators and experienced trial attorneys who have effectively pursued civil lawsuits against some of the most powerful individuals, organizations and big businesses on behalf of people, victims and small businesses. In fact, we specialize in handling cases where the power differential is greatest and we can use our experience and resources to even the playing field. Our recent trial results speak for themselves.
Choose from our qualified sex abuse attorneys
Edwards Pottinger Testimonials
Your voice matters.
“I’m so thankful to Ms. Henderson. She went above and beyond for me on multiple cases. Her hard work and dedication to my cases changed my life. She won a lawsuit on my behalf against a high-profile and powerful defendant. Never once did she settle—she fought to the end for me and won, thus giving me my quality of life back.”
“Seth Lehrman and his professional team of attorneys and paralegals were my true champions throughout my case. They made me feel as though I was the only and most important client they were fighting for and always followed through and kept me abreast of everything as it happened.”